Forum |  HardWare.fr | News | Articles | PC | S'identifier | S'inscrire | Shop Recherche
2819 connectés 

FORUM HardWare.fr
  Linux et OS Alternatifs
  Installation

Grub uninstall failure

Mot :   Pseudo :  

Bas de page
Auteur Sujet :

Grub uninstall failure

n°1311122
methe
Posté le 29-04-2012 à 16:57:06  profilanswer

Hello,
My Windows 7 had gone mad on my sony vaio laptop. Forgeting about Grub 1, I started the windows 7 reinstall program. (I installed Grub 1 along with a Debian distrib).

After the first reboot, Grub came in and threw me into grub rescue mode saying that it couldn't find partitions again. Grb rescue did a terrible job at helping as no known command(even "help" ) worked.

I grabbed my debian DVDs, and head to forums where I spent about 2 hours trying to understand how grub could be uninstalled. I tried to follow what that guy is saying: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg00698.html.

Now when the computer boots it says straight from the BIOS that no OS is found. When running fdisk -l from debian DVD it says that no valid parition table is found.

Ok, so my own conclusion to this is: I fucked up all my paritions, including my separate backup partition where all my data was stored. I have lost the sony vaio restore partition.

Is this correct? Or any genius out there can sniff the partitions back and reinstall the table?

Now, my other -and most important question is - If I buy a windows 7 CD, will it be able to handle my computer as it is now with no proper partition table? Or must I prepare some sort of table for it to at least finds its way?

Best Regards,

O.

mood
Publicité
Posté le 29-04-2012 à 16:57:06  profilanswer

n°1311126
guepe
J'ai du noir sur la truffe ?
Posté le 29-04-2012 à 18:57:16  profilanswer

Hi !

You just posted to a francophone forum, congrats  :jap:  

About your problem: grub does not need be uninstalled, a simple mbr fix using windows 7 would have been sufficient. Now, if fdisk -l does not show you any partitions, it indeed means you lost table partitions information.

I don't know if it is possible to retrieve it using some tool, however reinstalling from scratch will make the trick. Either windows 7 or any linux distribution. You might not need to buy a windows 7 cd, maybe contacting vaio, explain that your laptop partitions are blown out (don't explain why ;-) ) and they might ship you recovery cd for free. Or maybe guide you to a retail store for recovery.
The second solution has one major advantage: it costs you no money  :D

---------------
Un blog qu'il est bien
n°1311243
methe
Posté le 30-04-2012 à 17:21:44  profilanswer

Thank you for your reply (and sorry for posting in the wrong channel). I contacted Sony and had to pay 60 CHF for a delivery of the CDs. Well, that will teach me...

Cheers,

O.

Aller à :
Ajouter une réponse
  FORUM HardWare.fr
  Linux et OS Alternatifs
  Installation

Grub uninstall failure

Sujets relatifs
[resolu] GRUB... et puis rien... /boot sur clef usb, / sur hdd(RESOLU) Fork d'ubuntu, grub et MBR de seven : galères en vue ?
Probleme Grub apres installation 2eme linux installation de linux mint 12 avec un grub win7 et fedora 16?
Configuration de grub pour BackTrack 5 sur USBProbleme [Fuduntu] eeePx 900 avec [grub]
porter un liveCD isolinux sur disque dur grubBloqué sur le grub rescue
Grub rescue...[Resolu] Impossible d'installer Grub (Probleme BIOS EFI)
Plus de sujets relatifs à : Grub uninstall failure

Copyright © 1997-2022 Hardware.fr SARL (Signaler un contenu illicite / Données personnelles) / Groupe LDLC / Shop HFR