Forum |  HardWare.fr | News | Articles | PC | S'identifier | S'inscrire | Shop Recherche
1558 connectés 

FORUM HardWare.fr
  Overclocking, Cooling & Modding

Explication des concepteurs du glaciator quand a son poids (anglais)

Mot :   Pseudo :  

Bas de page
Auteur Sujet :

n°222177
nasdak
Posté le 16-06-2001 à 04:26:12  profilanswer

Glaciator Attachment in context, Stationary vs. Transport

AMD spec. for clip loads is 12 lbs min/24 Max with a typical load 16 - 18 lbs  

So with 18 Lbs loaded clip (9 lbs per lug) + 2 lbs heat sink you have a 20 Lbs load on the socket (10 per lug) 4 lbs under the AMD Max Load. That's good for a computer you are not going to move. In pull tests with a spring scale and the board mounted in a vertical posistion it takes an additional 10-12 lbs pulling against a single lug to break the socket In other words (10lbs clip force + 10 lbs pull force) It takes 20 lbs per lug or 40 lbs per socket before failure.  

The added load with the glaciator is 1 lb per lug. A crude analogy might be that it would take something like a 40 lb sink to break your socket.  

However when you move your computer its a different story, If you drop it off a truck 3 or 4 ft you will hit the max load on these socket lugs pretty readily and they will break. Simple caution and common sense is required, drop a hard drive 4ft or some other sensitive component and you encounter the same issues.

In order to achieve new performance limits, design features will push a threshold - High speed fans (NOISE) volume, weight, Materials, Technolgy + Manufacturing are taken to extremes. These are all design trade offs. I personally think many manufacturers made a mistake by applying the 7,000 rpm fans, the resulting noise was unacceptable to many. A material(cu) or Volume trade off would have been more acceptable. My design trade off was weight(cu), being what I considered the lessor of the evils.

I have investigated a number features such as board mounting schemes, varible fan speed controlers etc. The primary issue becomes pricing on the final product, for every dollar added to the manufacturing price 2-3 dollars are added @ the retail level. By the time you get through the chain of tooling, assembly, shipping the added cost of these features can easily push you up to the $60-$80 price range. Rather than end up a high priced novlty item I tried to put together the best combination of features at an acceptable price level.

The Glaciator is an extreme product, a threshold design, it does not meet AMD requirements for weight, and might not be for everybody. But for those who need the extra thermal performance its an option.

Regards

Andrew Lemont
Millennium Thermal Solutions

mood
Publicité
Posté le 16-06-2001 à 04:26:12  profilanswer

Aller à :
Ajouter une réponse
  FORUM HardWare.fr
  Overclocking, Cooling & Modding

Sujets relatifs
!!Commande définitive du Millenium glaciator!!Besoin explication du Doc Elmut?
quelqu'un a t'il une explication?Explication pour le WaterCooling ? Venez nombreux avec vos photos !
Parlons du millenium glaciatorbesoin d'aide et d'explication @duron 850Mhz
Ils sont plus doués que nous sur les forums Anglaisc koa le site anglais avec les n° de série des proc et leur overclock?
Explication des coefficients multiplicateurs des processeurs AMDExplication sur l' interet d' utiliser une plaque froide avec un TEC
Plus de sujets relatifs à : Explication des concepteurs du glaciator quand a son poids (anglais)

Copyright © 1997-2022 Hardware.fr SARL (Signaler un contenu illicite / Données personnelles) / Groupe LDLC / Shop HFR